Below is a summary of each pre-sentencing statement delivered by the Transform Now Plowshares (courtesy of Art Laffin of the Dorothy Day Catholic Worker in Washington, D.C.)
Summary Notes of Michael Walli’s Pre-Sentencing Statement
- Stated that he was offended by the fact that the Nazi regime had a legal right to exist and that either by silence or overt support Catholics consented to it.
- Quoted St. Thomas Aquinas: “Laws that do not serve the common good are unjust.”
- Quoted St. Augustine: “An unjust law is no law at all.”
- Stated that he acted in accordance with Jesus. Jesus’ declaration, “Blessed are the peacemakers,” was a call to action.
- Stated that his actions at Y-12 did not constitute a violation of law, but rather his obedience to God’s law. “I am a citizen of heaven. We engaged in our lawful, missionary work at Y-12. I committed no crime. I have no…
View original post 522 more words